Richard T. Bell
Richard T. Bell
Richard (Rick) T. Bell, was quickly recognized as a top family law and criminal defense litigator in Fort Bend County, Texas. In 2003 and 2006, the Fort Bend County Sun, a local newspaper, selected Rick as the best family law attorney in Fort Bend County, Texas.
Rick was born and raised in the Houston area and graduated college from Southwestern University in 1994. After graduation, Rick elected to stay near his family in Texas by attending law school at South Texas College of Law. After graduating from law school in 1997, Rick immediately began concentrating his legal practice to family law and criminal defense by litigating cases throughout the State of Texas.
Shortly after his graduation from law school, Rick also began teaching family law and criminal law at a local college. He was nominated and later selected to be included in the Who’s Who Among American Teachers. Upon receiving the highest marks of any professor at the school, Rick was asked to speak to the faculty and administration about how he motivated his students. After the birth of his first child, Rick ended his teaching career to allow more time for his family. However, Rick believes he continues to teach by educating his clients on the various options available to them in their legal matters.
Rick is a distinguished member of the Fort Bend County Bar Association, serving as the organization’s President in 2003. Rick is also an active member of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, National Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, and Fort Bend County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. He believes his commitment to these organizations makes him a better lawyer. Rick is continually attending legal courses to keep himself abreast of all the changes in the law. As a result of his attendance in these courses, Rick was awarded membership in the State Bar College, a certification awarded by the State Bar of Texas to those attorneys who exceed expectations for participation in continuing legal education programs.
Rick also volunteers his time to help others. He is a member of the Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas, an organization devoted to helping individuals that are unable to afford legal services. In 2004, Rick was elected a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation in recognition of his outstanding professional services and notable contributions to the system of justice and the people of Texas.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Criminal Defense
- Child Support
- Custody & Visitation
- Texas, 1997
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1999
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- J.D. - 1997
- Southwestern University
- B.A. - 1994
- Major: Business Management
Honors and Awards
- Voted Best Family Law Attorney in Fort Bend County, Texas, Fort Bend Sun, 2006
- Voted Best Bankruptcy Attorney in Fort Bend County, Texas, Fort Bend Sun, 2005
- Voted Best Bankruptcy Attorney in Fort Bend County, Texas, Fort Bend Sun, 2004
- Voted Best Family Law Attorney in Fort Bend County, Texas, Fort Bend Sun, 2003
- Who's Who Among American Teachers
- Member, Who's Who in American Law
- Life Member, National Registry of Who's Who
- Lifetime Member, America's Registry of Outstanding Professionals
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Fort Bend County Bar Association, President, 2003
- Fort Bend County Bar Association, Secretary, 2001
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section
- National Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Fort Bend County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Texas Bar Foundation
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas